<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://zeefashionista.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Zee Fashionista: The Philosophy of Style #1

6.17.2011

The Philosophy of Style #1

Style is one of those things in life that cannot be bought. It cannot be forced. It is one if those things that simply shows itself.

Yves Saint Laurent famously said that, "Fashion fades, style is eternal." Style is not about following fleeting fads and trends, and possessing all the latest designer clothes. Style is timeless. It is unique to the individual. It is about self-expression, history, culture, innovation, self-esteem...

 Fashionistas will not bend to fashion rules set out by fashion editors tucked away in their ivory towers. 

They know what they want.

They are no longer buying into the "emperors' new clothes" doctrine; "just trust the experts and wear it whether you like it or not" philosophy. They want real clothes, and they want their attire to reflect their beliefs without having to utter a word. They want their garments to live in synchronicity with their core values.

I bring you the Philosophy of Style series of posts, detailing selcted fashionistas' ideas on style.
 Introducing...


It is not often that you meet an incredibly beautiful and stylish model and art gallery intern, who just also happens to speak English, Ndebele, Spanish, French and is currently learning Russian.

               In 23-year-old London resident, Natasha Ndlovu, of Snow Black Blog, you find just that.




Zee Fashionista: How would you describe yourself in a paragraph?


Natasha Ndlovu: I am a multi-tasker by nature. I speak several languages, I do photography as well as being a model. I also love fashion and would like to learn more about it and get more involved in the industry. I also travel often and would like a job in the future that involves living between two cities.


ZF: Where did you grow up and how would describe how you were as a youth?


NN: I was born in Zimbabwe and at the age of 10 I moved to Johannesburg, South Africa. I was and still am quite shy as a person. I wish I could be more vocal but of course not over the top. I was never into fashion when I was younger. My life revolved around books and studying, but now I am more into visual material, design, etc.


ZF: Is there something about yourself that people might not readily know?


NN: I don't think there is anything interesting that people may not know. I have, however, lived by myself halfway across the world since I was 18. Most people live in the same country or continent as their family, but not me. I do visit my family, though it's an 11 hour flight from London !





ZF: What do you think style is?

NN: Style is a trademark or signature look people recognise you in. Whether it's certain colours you wear or material (leather for example). It's also the confidence to wear something and not let it wear you. Someone can have all the money in the world to buy expensive clothes, but does not mean they have style.

ZF: Who/What influences your style?


NN: Blogs, models and fashion industry people like Shala Monroque and the Olsen twins. I love polyvore.com because you can find a trend or item of clothing and see how other people style it.

ZF: How does your style reflect your dreams/goals/lifestyle?


NN: Right now my style says “One foot in Selfridges, yet the other is still stuck in Topshop”! In a sarcastic manner of course, that is. I love beautiful things, well tailored, good quality clothes and I want to live a visually luxurious life. I love a beautiful apartment, a neat closet, structure, etc, so as a person, I aim to be like that. I hope the job I get in the future allows me to enjoy what I do and not just do it because I have to.

I so want Natasha's lovely Miu Miu wedges

ZF: What do you think is the importance of prevailing style vs. just following trends?

NN: If you just follow trends, then you are a sheep amongst sheep. No one will recognise you and everything you do will be predictable. This is why I avoid buying certain basic items from particular stores because everyone will be wearing it. I want to wear something that people will stop me on the street to ask about, not a brand you can guess from afar. You have to be true to yourself and the way you want to dress, no matter what others may say or the looks you may get, unless of course you are Lady Gaga, then that's another topic.


ZF: What are the top 5 items in your wardrobe?

NN: Topshop leather jacket, Urban Outfitters shorts, Whistles blouse, Miu Miu wedges and Acne maxi dress.

ZF: What is your winter style advice for men and women alike?

NN: Lots of layering and have at least one bright color that pops out if you are wearing head to toe black. I love a touch of gold jewelry when wearing all black.

The Acne maxi dress in question.
Natasha's Whistles blouse has such an incredible colour!

Her super short Urban Outfitters Shorts.

Visit Natasha's Snow Black Blog / bloglovin' / facebook / twitter / youtube



(All images courtesy of Snow Black Blog)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM , Anonymous Sasha said...

I love this! Natasha is so beautiful. I wonder if I can find those oufits here in France! I love your blog Zee. Keep up the great work.

 
At June 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM , Anonymous Lois said...

Those outfits are amazing. Lovely post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home